Saturday, September 29, 2012

Dare 13

I know it seems like I skipped a few.  I'm sorry.  This really is where I'm at, though.

Talk with your spouse about establishing healthy rules of engagement.  If your mate is not ready for this, then write out your own personal rules to “fight” by.  Resolve to abide by them when the next disagreement occurs.

1.     We will never mention divorce.
2.     We will not bring up old, unrelated items from the past.
3.     We will never fight in public or in front of our children.
4.     We will call a “time out” if conflict escalates to a damaging level.
5.     We will never touch one another in a harmful way.
6.     We will never go to bed angry with one another.
7.     Failure is not an option.  Whatever it takes, we will work this out.

1.     I will listen first before speaking.  “Everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger” (James 1:19).
2.     I will deal with my own issues up-front.  “Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?” (Matthew 7:3)
3.     I will speak gently and keep my voice down.  “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger” (Proverbs 15:1).

I copied and pasted them from here.

Totally failed this yesterday :(  I told him if he ever gave up on God, that was my deal-breaker.  But at least we talked about it.  You know, after the fight.  Haven't fought like that in a long time, so I guess it's an improvement.

((I'm sorry about the weird formatting of this blog.  After copying and pasting the lists, it started acting up.))

P.

PS:  I'll edit this when I talk to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment